Summertime Beet Hummus
This hummus is fresh, light, and vibrant.
- *1 cup Beets see notes below
- **2 cup Chickpeas see notes below
- 3 cloves Garlic roasted or can use granulated garlic
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cumin ground
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- ⅓ cup Tahini
- ½ tsp Lemon zest
- ½ cup Aquafaba (liquid from the chickpeas) or water
Prepare your beets & chickpeas
- Peel the beets and cut into 1" cubes (the smaller they are, the faster they'll cook), and cook through until tender and they slide easily off a fork.This will take approx 30-45 mins depending on which method you use, and how large the chunks are.
- If you're cooking the chickpeas from dry, you'll need to prep these as well. I usually do them for about 30 mins in my Instant Pot, no need to soak them first.When they're done, save the water they're cooked in (AKA the aquafaba).
- Finally, if you're using roasted garlic, you'll want to put it in the oven at the same time.
Now that this is out of the way…
- Place all of the ingredients (except for the aquafaba/water) into a food processor or blender and mix until smooth. Add the liquid as needed (you may need the whole amount, or possibly a little less).
- Serve with pita bread, chips, or some raw veggies and enjoy!
For the beets, you could prepare them in one of three ways:
- In a pressure cooker (this would be the quickest way to cook them, taking approx. 15-mins or less).
If you don’t have a pressure cooker yet, I highly recommend investing in one. This is one of my favourite kitchen tools and gets used in many recipes, daily.
- Steamed (you don’t need any fancy tools, I just use a metal strainer and a saucepan)
- Roasted (this would offer a nice, roasted flavour). Put in the oven at 400° F for 30-40 mins.
- And a bonus (which I haven’t tried) could be to BBQ/grill the beets. Please let me know if you try this last method in the comments below 🙂
For the chickpeas, you can use canned or dry.If you’re cooking them yourself, I suggest putting the dry beans in your pressure cooker and using another cooking method for the beets. This will save you time.
For the roasted garlic.Cut the top off the head of garlic, and drizzle olive oil onto the freshly cut bits. Put back the piece you just cut off, and wrap the whole thing in tin foil. Put in the oven at 400° F for 30-40 mins.
Calories: 111kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 5gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 157mgPotassium: 180mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 21IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 1mg